Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
‘Your Data: Better Security, Better Choice, Better Care’ is the government’s response to:
- the National Data Guardian for Health and Care’s ‘Review of Data Security, Consent and Opt-Outs’
- the public consultation on that review
- the Care Quality Commission’s Review ‘Safe Data, Safe Care’
It also reflects on what we heard through consultation to set out immediate and longer-term action for implementation.
Following discussions with the National Data Guardian, ministers have agreed that type 1 opt-outs will remain in place until September 2020 at the earliest, when the position will be reviewed.
This consultation seeks views on the proposed data security standards and the consent/opt-outs model from health and care professionals and organisations and the public.
This follows the independent review of data security, consent and opt-outs by National Data Guardian Dame Fiona Caldicott. The review includes:
- 10 new data security standards
- a method of testing compliance with these standards
- a new consent model for data sharing in health and social care