New health data security standards and consent/opt-out model
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
PDF, 998KB, 84 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Detail of outcome
‘Your Data: Better Security, Better Choice, Better Care’ is the government’s response to:
- the National Data Guardian for Health and Care’s ‘Review of Data Security, Consent and Opt-Outs’
- the public consultation on that review
- the Care Quality Commission’s Review ‘Safe Data, Safe Care’
It also reflects on what we heard through consultation to set out immediate and longer-term action for implementation.
This consultation ran from
Seeks views on the proposed data security standards and new consent and opt-outs model for data sharing in the NHS and social care.
This consultation seeks views on the proposed data security standards and the consent/opt-outs model from health and care professionals and organisations and the public.
This follows the independent review of data security, consent and opt-outs by National Data Guardian Dame Fiona Caldicott. The review includes:
- 10 new data security standards
- a method of testing compliance with these standards
- a new consent model for data sharing in health and social care
MS Word Document, 117KB
Published: 6 July 2016
Updated: 12 July 2017
- Added ‘Your Data: Better Security, Better Choice, Better Care’, which is the government’s response to the consultation on the National Data Guardian for Health and Care’s review of data security, consent and opt-outs; and to the Care Quality Commission’s review ‘Safe Data, Safe Care’.
- First published.
From: Department of Health