Commercial and industrial buildings have a key role to play in helping the UK achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
This consultation sets out the government’s proposals to introduce a national performance-based policy framework for rating the energy and carbon performance of commercial and industrial buildings above 1,000m² in England and Wales, with annual ratings and mandatory disclosure as the first step.
These proposals aim to build on international best practice and have been developed in close collaboration with industry.
The consultation is in 2 parts:
- the strategy paper outlines the rationale for the policy, its aims and proposals on how to implement it
- the consultation on phase one of the policy, which sets out proposals for implementing annual performance-based ratings in commercial and industrial offices above 1,000m² in England and Wales
The impact assessment accompanies the Phase One: Office Sector consultation and provides supporting analysis on the proposals.
We welcome responses from all contributors with an interest in these proposals, but would like to hear in particular from:
- owners and tenants of commercial and industrial buildings above 1,000m²
- investors, asset managers and lenders
- energy consultants
- facilities management companies
- businesses involved in retrofit of these buildings
- the wider market
See the BEIS consultation privacy notice.
Please do not send responses by post to the department at this time, as we may not be able to access them.