Detail of outcome
The government has decided to develop a new national high speed rail network, the most significant transport infrastructure project in the UK since the building of the motorways. Following in the tracks of the Victorian railway pioneers and the post war planners who developed the motorway network, the government is signalling its commitment to providing 21st century infrastructure and connections - laying the groundwork for long term, sustainable economic growth.
This consultation ran from to
Consultation on the government's proposed UK high speed rail strategy, and the suggested initial line from London to the West Midlands.
The government believes that a national high speed rail network offers a once-in-a-generation opportunity to transform the way we travel in Britain.
On 28 February 2011 the government launched a national consultation, ‘High speed rail: investing in Britain’s future’. The consultation set out the government’s proposed strategy for a national high speed rail network for Britain and the route for an initial line between London and the West Midlands.
The consultation asked 7 questions, covering the government’s overall strategy, the proposed route for the London to West Midlands line, the environmental appraisal of this line, and options for supporting property owners affected by the proposals. The consultation closed on 29 July 2011.
Decision background documents
- Review of the government’s strategy for a national high speed rail network
- High speed rail strategic alternatives study: update following consultation
- Review of strategic alternatives to High Speed Two
- Economic case for HS2: updated appraisal of transport user benefits and wider economic benefits
- Economic case for HS2: value for money statement
- Review of the technical specification for high speed rail in the UK
- Review of possible refinements to the proposed HS2 London to West Midlands route
- Summary of effects of HS2 London to West Midlands route refinements
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands route selection and speed
- Review of HS2 London to West Midlands appraisal of sustainability
- Review of property issues
- HS2 revised line of route maps
- Do you think you are affected by the HS2 route?
Consultation background documents
- London to West Midlands rail alternatives - update of economic appraisal, 10 March 2011
- Economic case for HS2: The Y network and London West Midlands, 28 February 2011
- HS2 London to the West Midlands appraisal of sustainability, 28 February 2011
- HS2 route engineering report, 28 February 2011
- Strategic alternatives to the proposed Y network, 28 February 2011
- Maps of the proposed route for consultation, 28 February 2011
- HS2 high speed rail background reports, 20 December 2010