Cloud storage: consumer law compliance review
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
PDF, 1.98MB, 218 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Detail of outcome
Our review found that people find cloud storage services really valuable. The majority of consumers are generally satisfied with their services.
However, some cloud storage providers are using contract terms and practices that the CMA is concerned could breach consumer protection law. This includes terms giving businesses the ability to:
- change the service or terms of the contract at any time, for any reason and without notice
- suspend or terminate the contract without notice for any reason
- automatically renew a contract at the end of a fixed term without giving notice or withdrawal rights
The report sets out the CMA’s views about what it considers businesses should do to address its concerns and help ensure that their terms and practices are fair.
This consultation ran from
An invitation to comment on potential cloud storage consumer protection issues we’ve identified and whether they are affecting consumers.
Cloud storage services allow consumers to store, manage, organise and retrieve their digital content on their devices using the internet.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has looked at some of the business practices and terms and conditions used in the cloud storage sector. We have identified some potential consumer protection issues that we would like to assess further.
We’ve launched a review to find out how widespread the issues we have identified are, whether they breach consumer protection law and how they are affecting consumers.
We’re seeking views from:
- consumers who use or have used cloud storage services for personal use (not for business or job-related reasons)
- providers of cloud storage services
- others who have carried out research in this area or have views on the sector
PDF, 340KB, 11 pages
PDF, 142KB, 2 pages