The purpose of the Windrush Cross-Government Working Group is to:
- improve uptake of the Windrush Schemes (the Windrush Scheme and the Windrush Compensation Scheme), through advising the Home Office on its strategic approach to engagement and outreach; advising on the design and delivery of the Windrush Schemes Community Fund, and making decisions on recommendations to the Home Secretary on successful bids
- provide strategic input into the Home Office response to the Wendy Williams Lessons Learned Review
- co-design and deliver the response to cross-cutting issues to provide wider support to the Windrush generation and their descendants
- support the design and delivery of practical solutions to address the wider challenges that disproportionately affect people from black and wider minority ethnic backgrounds
In order to deliver on these priorities, the working group is underpinned by the following series of sub-groups which will focus on particular themes and deliver more targeted actions:
1) Windrush Community Funds and Windrush Schemes
Chair: Paulette Simpson
2) Implementation of the Windrush Lessons Learned Review
Chair: Duwayne Brooks
3) Collaboration with the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities
Chair: Blondel Cluff
Representatives from government departments will also attend the sub-groups.
The Windrush Cross-Government Working Group was announced by the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, on 22 June 2020.