Guidance for UK companies involved in the oil and gas sector on exporting overseas.
The UK’s oil and gas industry is the largest industrial sector in the UK. It’s a vital part of the UK economy which:
- supports the employment of 450,000 people across the UK
- generates around £40 billion each year, including over £14 billion in exports.
Government and industry are working in partnership to create more opportunities for companies through the ‘UK Oil and Gas Industrial Strategy’.
How DIT can help
Department for International Trade (DIT) helps the UK oil and gas sector do more business internationally. In 2015 to 2016 alone we helped a range of UK companies win oil and gas related contracts worth over £3.4 billion. We are currently scoping niche, accessible opportunities in other markets.
DIT helps UK companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting into markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We promote opportunities arising from prime contractor’s supply chains, ideally at pre-bidding stage.
We do this by:
- promoting the industry overseas through our embassies and High Commissions
- developing relationships with the International Oil Companies (IOCs) and National Oil Companies (NOCs)
- working with UK based Tier One contractors to position UK supply chain companies effectively for future export opportunities
- introducing companies to potential partners to enable them to access more challenging markets with local content criteria
We’d like to hear from companies in the oil and gas sector wanting to grow their business overseas. Sign up to meet with a trade adviser.
Contact Mike.Qureshi@trade.gsi.gov.uk to receive DIT’s oil and gas e-bulletin.
Find out about DIT services for exporters.
Oil and gas events
Register your interest to attend DIT oil and gas events, including missions and webinars.
Offshore Europe conference
The Offshore Europe Conference and Exhibition takes place every 2 years in Aberdeen.
The event is a global showcase for the UK oil and gas industry which enables UK companies to:
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT advisers
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find oil and gas export opportunities.
DIT has identified oil and gas international high value opportunities, which potentially offer UK companies access to over £8 billion of opportunities up to 2018.
There are currently opportunities in a number of markets:
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
Our case study shows how subsea cable company JDR Cables used UKEF’s Export Working Capital Scheme to obtain finance.
Find oil and gas sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum.
- World news story
Examples of how companies have benefitted from DIT support.
Published: 24 September 2014
Updated: 25 May 2016
- Update of how UKTI can help section.
- Updated Events section.
- Updated section on Offshore Europe 2015
- Azerbaijan HVO added to list of opportunities.
- First published.