The fund provides support to projects around the world that are tackling the illegal wildlife trade.
The UK government is committed to tackling the illegal wildlife trade. The Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund provides financial support to practical projects around the world which:
- developing sustainable livelihoods and economic development, to benefit people directly affected by IWT
- strengthening law enforcement
- ensuring effective legal frameworks
- reducing demand for IWT products
The illegal wildlife trade is a criminal industry worth more than £6 billion each year threatening both wildlife and people.
Through the Challenge Fund around £14 million has been allocated to 47 projects.
Documents from previous application rounds are available for reference.
Documents for 2017 application round
Challenge fund projects
Templates, guidance and forms for projects that have received money from the Challenge Fund. Reporting requirements are agreed when the money is granted.
Published: 4 August 2015
Updated: 27 July 2017
- Added information and forms on how to apply for the 2017 application round.
- Updated as the 2016 application round is now open.
- Added details of the latest projects approved and updated page.
- Applications for round 2 are now open. Deadline: 12 October 2015.
- First published.