Illegal Wildlife Trade (IWT) Challenge Fund
The fund provides support to projects around the world that are tackling the illegal wildlife trade.
You will be able to apply for the Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund under Round 4 of the scheme from late July 2017. The deadline for applications under the previous Round 3 was 17 August 2016.
The UK government is committed to tackling the illegal wildlife trade. The Illegal Wildlife Trade Challenge Fund provides financial support to practical projects around the world which:
- develop sustainable livelihoods for communities affected by illegal wildlife trade
- strengthen law enforcement and the role of the criminal justice system
- reduce demand for the products of the illegal wildlife trade
The illegal wildlife trade is a criminal industry worth more than £6 billion each year threatening both wildlife and people.
Through the Challenge Fund around £9.8 million has been allocated to 34 projects.
Documents from previous application rounds are available for reference.
Challenge fund projects
Templates, guidance and forms for projects that have received money from the Challenge Fund. Reporting requirements are agreed when the money is granted.
Published: 4 August 2015
Updated: 6 July 2016
- Updated as the 2016 application round is now open.
- Added details of the latest projects approved and updated page.
- Applications for round 2 are now open. Deadline: 12 October 2015.
- First published.