Darwin Initiative: funding schemes and how to apply
An outline of the funding schemes available under the Darwin Initiative and how to apply.
The Darwin Initiative is a UK government grants scheme that helps to protect biodiversity and the natural environment in developing countries and UK Overseas Territories (OTs).
Darwin-funded projects usually aim to help preserve biodiversity and the local community that lives alongside it. Most projects will include one or more of:
- building environmental knowledge
- capacity building
- implementing international biodiversity agreements
Project funding in developing countries
Funding from the Darwin Initiative is available for projects that will benefit biodiversity and local communities in developing countries. There are 4 separate schemes:
Project and fellowship funding in UK Overseas Territories
The Overseas Territories Environment and Climate Fund (Darwin Plus) provides funding for projects and fellowships in the UK’s Overseas Territories
Existing Darwin projects
Documentation, forms and other resources for on-going Darwin projects are also available.
Reports and publications
The Darwin Initiative publishes materials about the activities of the Initiative at programme and project level. This includes a quarterly newsletter, learning notes and reviews and proceedings from Darwin workshops.
Published: 19 May 2014
Updated: 6 July 2016
- Alerting the public that Round 23 is now open inviting Stage 1 applications for Darwin Initiative main projects.
- Updating the website to confirm that Round 22 is now closed and Round 23 will be launched in Summer 2016 and announcing that a recruitment exercise for new members of the Darwin Expert Committee is now open.
- Announcing the launch of the Darwin Initiative smaller schemes (post projects, scoping projects and Darwin Fellowships). Announcing that the period for submission of Darwin Plus Round 4 applications is closing on 21 September. Confirming when Stage 1 applicants will be notified whether they will be invited to submit Stage 2 applications or not.
- Darwin Initiative - Round 22 now open for main round project applications only. Other Darwin Initiative schemes (post projects, scoping projects and Darwin Fellowship awards) will be launched later this year.
- First published.