Our tabulation tool allows you to download and customise DWP statistics.
Our tabulation tool lets you download and customise DWP National Statistics on:
- benefit caseloads
- benefit on and off flows
- employment programmes
- National Insurance contributions and qualifying years and second tier pension provision – taken from the Lifetime Labour Market Database
Stat-Xplore is another way to explore DWP statistics. It currently holds statistics on:
- Housing Benefit claimant data
- JSA and ESA sanctions
- National Insurance number allocations to adult overseas nationals entering the UK
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- benefit cap
- Universal Credit
Use Stat-Xplore to:
- create customised tabulations
- view results in interactive charts
- share outputs via social networking tools or download into common file formats
We welcome views on Stat-Xplore from our users. Please contact Stat.Xplore@dwp.gsi.gov.uk for feedback and queries on Stat-Xplore.
The Work and Pensions Longitudinal Study (WPLS) data are based on 100% of claimants (tabtool) and cover information such as age and gender of claimant, duration of their spell on benefit and geographical locations of claimants.
If you need a more detailed breakdown for one benefit (for example the type of JSA in payment) you may need to use our 5% sample data (tabtool) which has more detail but less comprehensive coverage.
Please use the WPLS data first, and only access the samples if the breakdowns that you need are not available on the WPLS.
DWP recommends that, where the detail is only available on the 5% sample data the proportions derived should be applied to the overall 100% total for the benefit.
Our tabulation tool guidance lists the information available from each data source and provides more information.
We’ve published information about the differences between DWP Jobseeker’s Allowance statistics and Office for National Statistics claimant count statistics.
- Benefit caseload national statistics (WPLS data) (includes ESA)
- Neighbourhood statistics data: ward and super output area/data zone
- Census output area numbers for England and Wales
We also have a one-click working-age client group tabulation tool.
Sanctions and disallowances
From 22 October 2012, new regulations introduced a regime of fixed period sanctions, which replaced the existing sanction rules and moved claimants closer to the sanction regime planned for Universal Credit in 2013.
JSA sanction statistics from 22 October 2012 are no longer available via the Tabulation Tool. Updated sanctions statistics are now available via Stat-Xplore.
A time-series of quarterly flows figures is available from August 1999.
We released these statistics on 26 November 2015. They were due for release on 11 November 2015 but were delayed by a technical problem.
A one-click table for Pension Credit new claims by month is also available.
Our policy on helping people to find and stay in work includes managing the Work Programme.
The Work Programme tabulation tool uses data from the Work Programme.
There is more information on our employment programme support official statistics page.
National Insurance contributions and qualifying years and second tier pension provision
The National Insurance contributions and qualifying years and second tier pension provision tabulation tool uses data from the Lifetime Labour Market Database (L2).
It provides information on:
- people who have paid National Insurance contributions since 1978-1979
- membership of contracted-out pension schemes and SERPS/S2P membership since the introduction of contracted out schemes in 1978/79
Our monthly statistical summaries provide general information on benefit and employment programme statistics including important contextual information.
Contacts and more information
There are contact details and more information on the main DWP statistics page.
- Official Statistics