Animal testing and research: applying for licences

Guidance for applying for a licence to carry out animal testing.

Three licences are required by the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (ASPA) before testing on animals is allowed. The 3 licences needed are:

  • personal licence for each person carrying out procedures on animals
  • project licence for the programme of work
  • establishment licence for the place at which the work is carried out

The Animals Scientific e-Licensing (ASPeL) system should now be used for all personal and project licence applications.

Before applying, please read the standard conditions for personal licences, project licences and establishment licences.

Personal licence

Project licence

Establishment licences

Published 29 August 2017