Code of practice for the housing and care of animals bred, supplied or used for scientific purposes
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The code of practice sets out the standards of care and accommodation of animals required by the Animals (Scientific) Procedures Act 1986 and provides advice about the way in which those responsible under ASPA may comply with those requirements.
Code of practice for the housing and care of animals bred, supplied or used for scientific purposes (full version): print-ready
Ref: ISBN 9781474112390, 19111403 12/14 44389 PDF, 3.42MB, 227 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The full version of the code of practice is available, as well as the short guide.
The code is in 3 sections covering both general and species specific indications:
- section 1 describes the legal minimum standards applicable until 31 December 2016
- section 2 describes the legal minimum standards applicable from 1 January 2017
- section 3 provides non-mandatory advice to assist licensees to comply with the standards and covers a broader range of subjects than sections 1 and 2 alone
You can also read extracts of the code broken down into 4 groups of species:
- rodents and rabbits
- dogs, cats and ferrets
- fish, amphibians, reptiles and cephalopod
- non-human primates, farm animals and birds