1. Overview

You can get a copy of your own or someone else’s military service records, eg for proof of service or research purposes.

Records date from 1920 and may include:

  • medals received
  • medical records
  • details about someone’s career, eg the units they served in
  • date of death, if they died in service

In some cases little or no information is available about someone’s military service.

Who can apply

You can apply for a copy of your own service records if you are, or have been, a member of the armed forces, eg the army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force (RAF).

You can apply for a copy of someone else’s service records if one of the following apply:

  • you’re their immediate next of kin, eg spouse or parent
  • you’ve got consent from their immediate next of kin
  • you have a general research interest - you’ll only have access to limited information, unless they died more than 25 years ago

You’ll need to know the person’s full name, date of birth and service number.

How much it costs

There’s no fee:

  • for your own records
  • if you were someone’s spouse or civil partner at the time of their death (or their parent, if there was no spouse)

All other applications cost £30.

How long it takes

It can take up to several months for your application to be processed.

Your application will be prioritised if it’s urgent, eg you need proof of service so you can claim benefits.