Get a copy of military records of service

Skip to contents of guide

Apply for your own records

You can apply for your records if you are, or have been, a member of the armed forces. For example, the:

  • Royal Navy (including Royal Marines)
  • British Army
  • Royal Air Force

You’ll need proof of your identity, such as a passport or driving licence - and proof of address.

If your application is urgent, explain why in your form or a letter, so it can be prioritised. For example, you need the records for legal or medical reasons.

You can only use this service to request someone else’s records if you have permission to act on their behalf. You’ll need proof, for example, a lasting power of attorney or a letter from the person giving you permission.

There’s no fee.

If you’ve left the armed forces

Use the online service to request your personal information from the Ministry of Defence.

If you’re still in the armed forces or cannot apply online

Fill in a subject access request form and send it to the address on the form, along with any supporting documents.