Get a copy of military service records

Apply for the records of someone who's deceased

You can apply for a copy of someone else’s service records if any of the following apply:

  • you’re their immediate next of kin, for example their spouse or parent
  • you’ve got consent from their immediate next of kin
  • you have a general research interest - you’ll only have access to limited information, unless they died more than 25 years ago

You need to know the person’s full name, date of birth and service number.

Fill in 2 forms - a request form and a search form.

Fill in a request form

Download and fill in a request form for either:

Fill in a search form

Download and fill in the relevant search form, depending on whether the person was in the:

Post your forms

Send both forms, with the fee of £30 for each separate record, and any supporting documents (for example a death certificate) to the address on the search form.

There’s no fee if you were the person’s spouse or civil partner at the time of their death (or their parent, if there was no spouse).

You can pay by cheque or postal order - or by banker’s draft or international money order if you’re overseas.

Follow the instructions for applying for your own records if you’re acting on behalf of the person, for example you have lasting power of attorney.

What information you’ll get

Records date from 1920 and may include:

  • surname, first name, service number, rank and regiment or corps
  • place and date of birth
  • date they joined and left the armed forces
  • date of death, if they died in service
  • good conduct medals
  • details about their career, for example the units they served in - you can only get these 25 years after the date they died, unless you have consent from their next of kin

In some cases little or no information is available about someone’s military service.

Your request might be refused if it could harm the security or operations of the armed forces.