You can apply to get a free birthday or anniversary message from the Queen for a British national.

You can apply up to:

  • 3 weeks before the birthday or anniversary date, or 5 weeks before if you apply online
  • 6 months afterwards, for a belated message


You can get a message for someone’s:

  • 100th birthday
  • 105th birthday
  • birthday each year following their 105th

You can apply online or download and fill in an application form.


You can get a message for a couple’s:

  • 60th (diamond) anniversary
  • 65th anniversary
  • 70th (platinum) anniversary
  • anniversary each year following their 70th

You can apply online or download and fill in an application form.

What you’ll need

You must provide proof of when the marriage took place. You’ll need to either:

  • include a copy of the marriage certificate with your application - eg a scan or digital photograph if you’re applying online, or order a paper copy
  • call the General Register Office (GRO) - they’ll confirm the marriage details with the Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace

If the marriage took place in Scotland or Northern Ireland, contact National Records of Scotland and General Register Office for Northern Ireland instead.

If the person lives abroad

You’ll need to include a photocopy or digital copy of their British passport photo page.

For birthdays, you’ll also need to include a copy of their birth certificate.

You can’t apply online if they live in Australia, Canada or New Zealand - you must send the completed application form to the Governor-General instead.