Entry requirements

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in El Salvador set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

Entry to El Salvador

Local authorities have advised that from 24 March, people seeking to enter El Salvador must be able to show, including to the relevant airline or travel company, that one of the following COVID-19 requirements is met:

  • That you have been vaccinated against COVID-19, including both doses if appropriate for that vaccine make
  • That you have a negative COVID-19 PCR, NAAT or LAMP test certificate issued within a period of no more than 72 hours prior to your arrival in El Salvador

You should contact the Embassy of El Salvador in London for information on other migration requirements and documentation that you may need prior to travelling.

Regular entry requirements


British passport holders can enter El Salvador for tourism or business for up to 90 days without a visa (subject to COVID restrictions referenced above). This can be extended on application to the Salvadoran immigration department, Centro de Gobierno, San Salvador; Telephone: (503) 2213 7700. For other types of travel, contact the Embassy of El Salvador in London.

If you overstay your visa then you should expect to pay a fine before leaving the country. For information you should contact the Salvadoran immigration department.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into El Salvador.

Central America Border Control Agreement

El Salvador is party to the Central America Border Control Agreement (CA-4).  Under the terms of this agreement, British tourists may travel within any of the CA-4 countries (Honduras,Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala) for a period of up to 90 days, without completing entry and exit formalities at border Immigration checkpoints.

The 90 day period begins at the first point of entry of any of the CA-4 countries. Fines are applied for travellers who exceed the 90-day limit, although you can apply for an extension of up to 30 days by paying a fee before the 90 days limit expires. If you’re expelled from any of the 4 countries you are also excluded from the entire CA-4 region.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are valid for entry to and exit from El Salvador. ETDs must also have a minimum period of 6 months validity from the date you enter El Salvador.

If you’re travelling via the United States of America on an ETD, you’ll need to get a USA visa. For more information, please contact the Embassy of the USA in El Salvador.