1. Home
  2. Passports, travel and living abroad
  3. Travel abroad
  4. Foreign travel advice

Foreign travel advice

British Indian Ocean Territory

Entry requirements


Before travelling to the British Indian Ocean Territory you’ll need a valid permit, which you must get at least one month in advance from the British Indian Ocean Territory Administration, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH. Email: BIOTadmin@fco.gov.uk

Any permit issued would be valid for the Outer Islands only. Access to Diego Garcia is only allowed for those on pre-authorised official duty.

You’ll need proof of comprehensive travel insurance (to include medical evacuation for a minimum of $100,000 per person) and yacht insurance (to include wreck clean up and disposal) before a permit can be issued.

Use the form below to apply for a mooring permit for the Territory:

BIOT Visit Permit Request – Yachts

Guidance for Visitors

Passport validity

Your passport must be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into British Indian Ocean Territory.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information, eg your National Insurance number or credit card details.