2. Buy a rod fishing licence

Buy a licence that starts after 1 April 2017

You can buy a 1-day, 8-day or 12-month licence online that starts on or after 1 April 2017.

You’ll need:

  • a debit or credit card
  • your Blue Badge or National Insurance number, if you have a disability
  • the other person’s details (such as date of birth), if you’re buying for someone else

This licence can start on any date after 1 April as long as it’s within 90 days of the day you buy it.

You can also buy a licence:

Contact EA if you haven’t received your 12-month licence within 10 working days.

Prices for licences that start after 1 April 2017

Licence type Trout and coarse 2-rod Trout and coarse 3-rod Salmon and sea trout
1-day £6 Not available £12
8-day £12 Not available £27
12-month £30 £45 £82
12-month - over 65 or disabled £20 £30 £54
12-month - junior (12 to 16) Free Free Free

You can get a disabled person’s licence if you’ve got a Blue Badge, or you get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (any rate) - you’ll need your National Insurance number to prove this.

Buy a licence that starts before 1 April 2017

If you want to fish before 1 April 2017 you can buy a 1-day or 8-day licence online.

You can’t use the online service to buy a 1-day or 8-day licence that starts before 1 April for someone aged 12 to 16.

You can also buy a licence:

To buy a licence for the full period from now to 1 April you have to call EA on 0344 800 5386 (find out about call charges).

Prices for licences before 1 April

Licence type Non-migratory trout and coarse Salmon and sea trout
1-day licence £3.75 £8.00
8-day licence £10.00 £23.00
Full licence (valid until 31 March 2017) £27.00 £72.00
Over 65 or disabled (valid until 31 March 2017) £18.00 £48.00

Change or replace a licence

Contact the Environment Agency:

  • if you have questions about your licence
  • to replace a licence
  • to update your details if you’ve changed your name or address

Environment Agency
Email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk
Telephone: 03708 506 506
Textphone: 03702 422 549
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

National Customer Contact Centre
Environment Agency
Bradmarsh Business Park
Bow Bridge Close
S60 1BY

Fishing in Scotland and Northern Ireland

In Scotland, you need a rod fishing licence for the Border Esk and its tributaries. You don’t need a rod fishing licence elsewhere in Scotland, but you need permission.

You must get either a licence or a permit to fish in Northern Ireland.