Get financial support as a victim of crime

You can apply for financial help if you have to take time off low-paid work because you’ve been the victim of a violent crime.

You can get help for up to 25 days from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) hardship fund if you’re eligible.

You might still get help if your injuries are not severe enough to qualify for the criminal compensation scheme.


You can apply if you:

  • earn less than £111 per week
  • don’t get Statutory Sick Pay or equivalent sick pay scheme run by your employer
  • couldn’t work for at least 7 consecutive days as a result of the crime
  • don’t have any unspent convictions that resulted in a custodial sentence or community order

You normally need to report your injuries to the police within 48 hours and CICA need to receive your application within 8 weeks of the crime.

How to apply

Contact Victim Support. You’ll need:

  • the unique police crime reference number
  • a doctor’s certificate (fit note) showing you’ve been unable to work for at least 7 consecutive days as a result of the crime
  • a pay slip or letter from your employer showing your average weekly earnings
  • a copy of your most recent tax return if you’re self-employed

Victim Support
Telephone: 0845 30 30 900
Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 7pm
Bank holidays, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Find out more about the Hardship Fund and Victim Support.