In employment law a person’s employment status helps determine:

  • their rights
  • their employer’s responsibilities

A person may have a different employment status in tax law.

The main types of employment status are:

Contact Acas (or the Labour Relations Agency in Northern Ireland) for advice about employment status, employee rights or employer responsibilities.

Acas helpline
Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Textphone: 18001 0300 123 1100
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Courts and tribunals can make final decisions on employment status.