Company directors run limited companies on behalf of shareholders.
If a person does other work that’s not related to being a director, they may have an employment contract and get employment rights.
Step 1: Decide what type of employee you need
and Check you can afford to take on employees
- Check how much the National Minimum Wage is
- Find out how much National Insurance you need to pay for your employees
- Check how much sick pay your employees are eligible for
- Check how much you need to pay towards your employee's pension
- Check how much Maternity Leave you need to pay your employees
- Check how much Paternity Leave you need to pay your employees
Step 2: Make your workplace safe and accessible for employees
- Prevent discrimination
- Make your workplace accessible for employees with disabilities or health conditions
- Keep employee information and data safe
- Fire safety
- Health and safety
You also need to make checks when you recruit and employ someone.
Step 3: Register as an employer and set up PAYE
You need to register with HMRC so you can pay tax and national insurance for your employees.
Step 4: Check your responsibilities around workplace pensions
Step 5: Get Employers' Liability insurance
Step 6: Recruit and employ staff