Get funding

You can get help from the government:

  • to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment
  • as an incentive payment for other costs

Help to pay for apprenticeship training and assessment

The amount you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not. You pay the levy if you’re an employer with a pay bill over £3 million each year.

If you do not need to pay the levy

You pay 5% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice. You need to:

  • agree a payment schedule with the training provider
  • pay them directly for the training

The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. They’ll pay it directly to the training provider.

You could be eligible for extra funding depending on both your and your apprentice’s circumstances.

You contribute 10% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice and the government pays the rest (90%) if your apprentice started before 1 April 2019. This rate continues until your apprentice completes their training.

If you pay the levy

You’ll receive funds to spend on training and assessing your apprentices. The government will add 10%.

How you get your funds and pay for training depends on whether you’re in:

Help to pay for other costs

You can claim for an incentive payment for new apprentices who join your organisation.

The amount you get will depend on when the apprentice joined your organisation.

Apprentices who joined your organisation before 1 April 2021

You can claim up to £2,000 as an incentive payment if your apprentice starts between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021.

You’ll have until 31 May 2021 to make the claim.

Apprentices who join your organisation from 1 April 2021

You can claim £3,000 for apprentices who start between 1 April 2021 and 30 September 2021.

You can make a claim from 1 June 2021.

Find out if you are eligible, what you can use the payment for and how to apply

Register for a digital service account

Register for an apprenticeship service account to access funds or pay for training. You’ll be able to apply for the incentive payment after you add new apprentices to your account.

If you pay the apprenticeship levy and use an apprenticeship training agency, you cannot use funds from your digital account to pay for the training agency’s services.

Get help

Fill in the enquiry form or contact the National Apprenticeship Service for more information.

National Apprenticeship Service
Telephone: 0800 015 0600
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Find out about call charges

You can get more information or use the webchat service on the apprenticeship service employer support site.