There are some goods that you can’t bring into the UK no matter where you’re travelling from.
- illegal drugs
- offensive weapons like flick knives
- self defence sprays like pepper spray and CS gas
- endangered animal and plant species
- rough diamonds
- indecent and obscene materials
- personal imports of meat and dairy products from most non-EU countries
Some goods are restricted - like firearms, explosives and ammunition. You need a special licence.
Some food and plant products are also restricted if they:
- aren’t free from pests and diseases
- aren’t for your own use
- weren’t grown in the EU
Border Force have produced a leaflet with details of banned and restricted goods.
If you bring goods suspected of infringing intellectual property right, for example pirated items, they might be seized and you could be prosecuted.