4. Banned and restricted goods
- illegal drugs
- offensive weapons, eg flick knives
- self-defence sprays, eg pepper spray and CS gas
- endangered animal and plant species
- rough diamonds
- indecent and obscene materials
- personal imports of meat and dairy products from most non-EU countries
Some goods are restricted - like firearms, explosives and ammunition. You need a special licence to bring them in to the UK.
Some food and plant products are also restricted if they:
- aren’t free from pests and diseases
- aren’t for your own use
- weren’t grown in the EU
If you bring goods suspected of infringing intellectual property rights (eg ‘pirate’ copies of movies or music) they may be seized and you could be prosecuted.