If you bring €10,000 or more in cash, or the equivalent in another currency, to the UK from outside the European Union (EU) you must declare it.

Cash includes:

  • notes and coins
  • bankers’ drafts
  • cheques of any kind (including travellers’ cheques)

If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.

Declaring cash to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

  1. Download and complete form C9011 ‘Cash declaration’ (PDF, 56KB) or get a copy at the port or airport.

  2. Make a copy - if you fill in the form at the port or airport, it automatically makes a carbon copy, if you download and complete the form, print 2 copies.

  3. Leave a copy in the drop-box at the port or airport and keep the other to show Custom Officers.


You could face a penalty of up to £5,000 if you don’t declare your cash or give incorrect information.

Your declared cash can be seized by Customs Officers if they have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime. They can keep the cash for 48 hours - after that they need a court order.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.