Get a standard or enhanced DBS check for an employee
How you request a standard or enhanced check depends on how many checks you do a year.
If you do:
- fewer than 100 checks a year you must use a company known as an ‘umbrella body’
- 100 or more checks a year you can choose to register with DBS or use an umbrella body
How to do a check
Ask DBS or your umbrella body for an application form.
Give the form to the applicant to fill in.
The applicant will return the completed form to you along with documents proving their identity.
Send the completed application form to DBS or your umbrella body.
DBS will send a certificate to the applicant. You must ask the applicant to show you the certificate so you can check it’s genuine.
How much it costs
How much it costs depends on the type of check.
|Type of check||Cost|
|Enhanced with barred lists||£40|
Checks are free for volunteers.
How long it takes
It usually takes around 14 days but it can take longer if:
- the details given for the check are incorrect
- several police forces need to be involved in the check
You cannot pay more to get a faster check.
If you’re registered with DBS you can use the tracking service to track multiple applications.
Checks on carers
If you provide care services for adults (for example in a care home), you can use a service called DBS Adult First.
This will confirm, usually within 2 days, if the applicant:
- can start work, as long as they’re supervised
- should wait for the results of an enhanced check
The service costs an extra £6.