Report someone as unfit to work with children or vulnerable adults

Parents or members of the public who are concerned about someone working with children or vulnerable adults should contact the police, social services or the person’s employer.

Refer someone to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

Employers must refer someone to DBS if they:

  • sacked them because they harmed someone
  • sacked them or changed their role because they might have harmed someone
  • were planning to sack them for either of these reasons, but they resigned first

You’re breaking the law if you do not refer someone to DBS when you should.

Contact the helpline for help referring someone to DBS.

DBS helpline
Telephone: 0300 0200 190
Find out about call charges