How much will be paid
£5.20 per metre.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier.
Only on newly created or existing woodland Where this item cannot be used To protect newly planted woodland supported by item TE4 - Supply and plant tree.
How this item will benefit the environment
It will protect newly coppiced woodland from deer browsing as part of a wider woodland management project.
Agreement holders are likely to need to make sure the fence:
- protects newly coppiced woodland
- meets the specifications set out in the table below (and in the Forestry Commission’s practice note, Recommendations for Fallow, Roe and Muntjac Deer Fencing
- is erected as soon as possible after coppicing has taken place and before stools have started to grow again
- has a line that is clear of debris
- has a line that is smooth enough that the bottom of the fence sits with the ground (there must be no gaps that deer can get through)
- is maintained so that deer cannot enter the land until the coppice re-growth is large enough that it no longer needs to be protected
Specifications for the height and mesh size of temporary fences:
|Species of deer||Minimum fence height (m)||Maximum mesh size (mm)|
|Fallow||1.5||200 by 220|
|Roe||1.5||200 by 150|
|Muntjac||1.5||75 by 75|
What the management plan needs to include
Where the item is used on an existing woodland site, the management plan needs to identify that deer are present on the site in large numbers and are a threat to it.
Agreement holders are likely to need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- the approved woodland management plan justifying the need for this item
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.