How much will be paid
£425 per hectare (ha).
If used as Ecological Focus Area (EFA): £91 per ha.
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Whole or part parcel
- only on Scheduled Monuments on arable land or temporary grassland
- only with the written approval of Historic England as confirmed on your Historic Environment FER (HEFER) consultation response
How this option will benefit the environment
It protects historic and archaeological features from damaging cultivation practices.
Depending on land use and location it may also:
- reduce diffuse pollution
- reduce soil erosion
Protecting historic and archaeological features will conserve the character of the farm and protect England’s heritage for future generations. This option may also maintain and conserve landscape character.
- use shallow cultivation on arable land to establish a grass or flower mixture
- re-seed temporary grassland by slot seeding, making sure not to damage the existing sward
- maintain a continuous grass sward over the feature
- make sure vehicle or stock access routes are at least 6m away from the feature (existing surfaced tracks can be used)
- agree with Natural England in writing all drainage works, including modification to existing drainage, before any works take place
- plough on earthwork sites when establishing grass or flower mixtures
- harrow or roll
- supplementary feed within 6m of the option area
- allow scrub or bracken growth on the option area
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
On your annual claim you will be asked to declare that you haven’t carried out any activities prohibited by the option requirements.
Applicants will need to submit the following with the application:
- a land drainage map
- a map of existing tracks
- written approval for the option from Historic England
Related Mid Tier options
These options and supplements can be located on the same area as this option:
- OR1 - Organic conversion - improved permanent grassland
- OT1 - Organic land management - improved permanent grassland
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option.
Pick the right location
Choose a boundary that includes all of the features and provides a practical field division.
The following guides from Historic England may also be useful:
- Farming the historic landscape: caring for archaeological sites on arable land
- Farming the historic landscape: caring for archaeological sites in grassland