How much will be paid
£30 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- only on historic and archaeological features on parcels of permanent grassland
The permanent grassland may form a mosaic with other vegetation types, such as heathland and moorland
Where this option cannot be used
- on land parcels of more than 15ha above the moorland line
How this option will benefit the environment
It maintains permanent grassland on historic and archaeological features.
Maintaining these features will conserve the character of the farm and protect England’s heritage for future generations. This option may also maintain and conserve landscape character.
If successful there will be:
- a well-managed grass sward covering the feature
- very little bare soil
- no scrub or bracken
- no poaching or erosion
- no burrowing animals
- no farm tracks within 6m of the feature
- maintain a continuous grass sward or vegetation cover so that no more than 5% of the features develop bare patches or erosion
- make sure scrub, bracken or pernicious weeds cover no more than 5% of the features
- make sure vehicle or stock access routes are at least 6m away from the feature (existing surfaced tracks can be used)
- plough, cultivate or re-seed
- harrow or roll
- apply supplementary feed on or within 6m of the feature
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
On your annual claim you will be asked to declare that you haven’t carried out any activities prohibited by the option requirements.
You should also be aware that at the start of each claim year, a percentage of agreement holders will be asked to take and submit the following photographic records:
- photographs of the management undertaken
All applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- a map of existing tracks
Related Mid Tier options
These options and supplements can be located on the same area as this option::
- OR1 - Organic conversion - improved permanent grassland
- OR2 - Organic conversion - unimproved permanent grassland
- OT1 - Organic land management - improved permanent grassland
- OT2 - Organic land management - unimproved permanent grassland
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option.
Plan drainage works
Installing or maintaining drainage systems can damage historic and archaeological features. To avoid damage install access points outside the feature so that drains can be maintained without having to excavate.
The following Historic England guide may be of use: