How much will be paid
£115 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Whole or part parcel
- on land registered as organic or “in conversion’ with a Defra-licensed organic control body .
- if the land has been sown to grass it must be for fewer than 7 years.
How this option will benefit the environment
It provides a valuable year-round habitat and food for farmland wildlife such as pollinators and farmland birds.
in year 1 of the agreement, establish a multi-species ley containing at least:
- 5 grass species
- 3 legume species
- 3 herb species
- the grass component must not exceed 75% of the seed mix by weight (measured in kilograms per hectare).
- once established, manage with rotational cutting or grazing
for 50% of the option:
- cut or graze between 1 April and 15 May
- do not cut or graze this area again until 1 August
for the remaining 50% of the option area:
- cut or graze between 15 May and 30 June
- do not cut or graze this area again until 15 September
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
- stock records to show grazing activity on parcels
- a valid organic certificate and schedule for all the parcels entered into this option with your annual claim
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- a copy of a valid organic certificate and schedule for all the parcels entered into this option
Related Mid Tier options
These options can be located on the same area as this option:
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option
As this is a rotational option, it can be moved between eligible parcels, but the same total area (hectarage) must be maintained each year.