WN10: Construction of water penning structures
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the construction of water penning structures item.
How much will be paid
Up to 100% of actual costs.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier
Only on sites where it is not possible to use standard soil bunds or sluices to raise water levels. The item must be used in combination with one of the following options:
- GS9 - Management of wet grassland for breeding waders
- GS10 - Management of wet grassland for wintering waders and wildfowl
- GS11 - Creation of wet grassland for breeding waders
- GS12 - Creation of wet grassland for wintering waders and wildfowl
- LH1 - Management of lowland heathland
- LH2 - Restoration of forestry and woodland to lowland heathland
- LH3 - Creation of heathland from arable or improved grassland
- WD7 - Management of successional areas and scrub
- WD8 - Creation of successional areas and scrub
- WT6 - Management of reedbed
- WT7 - Creation of reedbed
- WT8 - Management of fen
- WT9 - Creation of fen
- WT10 - Management of lowland raised bog
How this item will benefit the environment
It will provide bespoke water penning or control structures to support raised water levels for restoring or creating habitats.
- agree a specification for the works with Natural England in year 1 of the agreement
- provide a minimum of 3 written quotations for the completion of the works, identifying associated costs
- agree the selected quotation with Natural England in year 1 of the agreement
- complete the works as set out in the approved specification and within the agreed time period
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is not available
- photographs of the site during the different stages of construction or contracts, invoices or other documents confirming the technical specification for the completed works
- photographs of the completed works in place and installed
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
Before applying for this item applicants should contact the Environment Agency.
Applicants are will need to send the following with their application:
- the 3 quotes for completion of the work
- photographs of the site before work takes place
- a copy of any advice or consent received from the Environment Agency
- any other relevant consents, for example from the Internal Drainage Board
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How to apply for consent
Fully dimensioned drawings and the specification itself will be required when applying for consent.
Where to use this item
This item can be used for raising banks, installing gauge boards or tilting weirs.
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.