WN9: Brick, stone or concrete sluice
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the brick, stone or concrete sluice item.
How much will be paid
£2480 per sluice
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier
Only in combination with one of the following management options:
- WT6 - Management of reedbed
- WT7 - Creation of reedbed
- WT8 - Management of fen
- WT9 - Creation of fen
- GS7 - Restoration towards species-rich grassland
- GS8 - Creation of species-rich grassland
- GS9 - Management of wet grassland for breeding waders
- GS10 - Management of wet grassland for wintering waders and wildfowl
- GS11 - Creation of wet grassland for breeding waders
- GS12 - Creation of wet grassland for wintering waders and wildfowl
- GS13 - Management of grassland for target features
- GS14 - Creation of grassland for target features
- HS7 - Management of historic water meadows through traditional irrigation
How this item will benefit the environment
It aims to provide a robust and substantial structure for water level control to support raised water levels for habitat restoration or creation.
- agree a specification for the works with Natural England
- complete the works as set out in the approved specification and within the agreed timescale
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Before applying for this item applicants should contact the Environment Agency.
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- a copy of advice provided by the Environment Agency
- any relevant consents, for example from the Environment Agency, Internal Drainage Board or Historic England
- photographs before works commence
- item specification if required
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
Applications for consent will need to be supported by fully dimensioned drawings and the specification.
If the sluice replaces an existing one, materials and construction should reflect the original. Otherwise, choice of materials and construction should reflect similar features in the local area.
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.