You can complain to the Insolvency Service if you suspect someone who’s bankrupt or subject to bankruptcy or debt relief restrictions isn’t acting honestly.

If the Insolvency Service decides that your complaint is serious enough, it will carry out a confidential investigation.

If it finds enough evidence, it may:

  • try to recover undisclosed assets
  • send a report to the relevant prosecuting or regulatory body (eg the police)
  • ask a court to impose further restrictions

What can be investigated

The Insolvency Service must have reasonable grounds to suspect the person of misconduct. Misconduct includes:

  • not disclosing or giving away assets
  • causing significant harm to customers, suppliers etc (if the person runs a business)
  • breaking the law, eg fraud
  • breaking restrictions (eg acting as a director of a company or obtaining credit)

The Insolvency Service won’t usually investigate complaints where there’s no public interest (eg a personal dispute).

How to complain

Complain about a bankrupt person using the Insolvency Service’s online complaints form.

You can also email or write to:

Intelligence Hub
Investigations and Enforcement Services
Insolvency Service
3rd Floor Cannon House
18 Priory Queensway
B4 6FD

If you can’t make a complaint in writing you can use the Investigations Hotline to complain by phone.

Provide as much information as you can when you complain.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.