Complain about a limited company

You can make a complaint if you have serious concerns about a limited company or its directors. Where to send your complaint depends on what it’s about.

There’s a different way to complain about goods or services you’ve bought or a company that owes you money.

Filing late or fraudulent documents

Complain to Companies House if a company hasn’t filed its annual accounts or confirmation statements (previously annual returns), or has filed fraudulent documents.

To make a complaint, email

Corporate abuse

Complain to the Insolvency Service if you have good reason to suspect an active company of corporate abuse, for example:

  • causing significant harm to customers or suppliers
  • dishonest or unethical activity (like not using company assets properly)
  • fraud, scams or breaking the law in another way

If you think the company might be committing serious and complex fraud, check if you should report it to the Serious Fraud Office.

How to complain

You can either:

Insolvency Service
Telephone: 0300 678 0017
24-hour answerphone
Find out about call charges

Intelligence Hub
Investigations and Enforcement Services
Insolvency Service
3rd Floor Cannon House
18 Priory Queensway
B4 6FD

What happens next

If the Insolvency Service decides that your complaint is serious enough, they will either:

  • carry out a confidential investigation
  • pass your complaint on to another public body

If they find anything wrong and have enough evidence, they might ask a court to:

  • close the company down
  • disqualify the company’s directors

They may also carry out a criminal investigation if they find the company has committed an offence.

Complaints about insolvent companies

Contact the official receiver or insolvency practitioner if the company you want to complain about:

  • has gone into administration
  • has gone into receivership
  • is being liquidated (being ‘wound up’)

Check the Companies House register if you don’t know the official receiver or insolvency practitioner responsible for the case.