You can claim for pneumoconiosis through a special scheme - all other miners’ schemes have now closed.

British Coal and National Coal Board employees affected by pneumoconiosis can claim compensation through the Coal Workers Pneumoconiosis Scheme (CWPS).

Widows or family members of deceased miners may be able to claim.

How to claim

Call the Coal Health helpline to get a form, and send it to Nabarro, the company handling CWPS claims.

General enquiry line
0844 984 0190
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Nabarro Claims Solutions
Coal health claims
PO Box 68585

Other diseases and conditions

To claim for any diseases and conditions other than pneumoconiosis, you need to get legal advice about making a common law claim.

You may be able to claim compensation for:

  • noise induced hearing loss (NIHL)
  • respiratory conditions eg chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • hand arm vibration related conditions eg vibration white finger (VWF)
  • asbestos related conditions