The Original Bowling Company / Bowlplex merger inquiry
The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by The Original Bowling Company Ltd of Bowlplex Ltd.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|1 December 2015||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|26 October 2015||Extension of consideration of undertakings in lieu (UILs)|
|17 August 2015||Decision announced|
|22 June to 3 July 2015||Invitation to comment|
|22 June 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
1 December 2015: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the anticipated acquisition by The Original Bowling Company Ltd of Bowlplex Ltd. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (22.12.15)
- The Original Bowling Company final undertakings (1.12.15)
- News story: CMA accepts bowling remedy (1.12.15)
Extension of considerations of undertakings in lieu
26 October 2015: The CMA has extended the consideration of UILs until 22 December 2015.
- Notice of extension (26.10.15)
Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
7 October 2015: We are consulting on a proposed undertaking in lieu (UIL) of a reference for the anticipated acquisition by The Original Bowling Company Ltd of Bowlplex Ltd.
- Notice of consultation (7.10.15)
- The Original Bowling Company proposed undertaking (7.10.15)
- News story: CMA to consult on bowling undertaking (7.10.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
1 September 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by The Original Bowling Company Ltd, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (15.9.15)
- News story: CMA to consider proposed undertakings for bowling merger (1.9.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
17 August 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (15.9.15)
- Press release: Bowling merger may give rise to competition concerns (17.8.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
22 June 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
22 June 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (22.6.15)
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 22 June 2015
Updated: 22 December 2015
Opened: 22 June 2015
Closed: 1 December 2015
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Notice of extension published.
- Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation launched.
- Proposed undertaking and full text of the decision published.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Recreation and leisure