Regus Group / Avanta Serviced Office Group merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 15 May 2015
- Last updated:
- 9 February 2016, see all updates
- 15 May 2015
- 29 January 2016
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Distribution and service industries
- Mergers - phase 1 clearance with undertakings in lieu
The CMA investigated the completed acquisition by Regus Group Limited of Avanta Serviced Office Group plc.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|29 January 2016||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|29 December 2015||Decision published|
|18 November 2015||Decision announced|
|23 September 2015 to 6 October 2015||Invitation to comment|
|23 September 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|14 May 2015||Initial enforcement order|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
29 January 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the acquisition by Regus Group Limited of Avanta Serviced Office Group plc. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (9.2.16)
- Regus final undertakings (1.2.16)
- Press release: CMA accepts remedy in serviced office space merger (1.2.16)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
8 December 2015: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the completed acquisition by Regus Group Limited of Avanta Serviced Office Group plc.
- Notice of consultation (8.12.15)
- Regus proposed undertakings (8.12.15)
- News story: CMA invites comments on serviced office space merger remedy (8.12.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
2 December 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by Regus, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice will be published shortly.
Notice to consider undertakings offered (8.12.15)
News story: CMA looks in detail at office space merger remedy (2.12.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
18 November 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger has resulted or may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless Regus offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (29.12.15)
- Press release: Office space merger prompts CMA concerns in central London (18.11.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
23 September 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
23 September 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (23.9.15)
Initial enforcement order
On 14 May 2015, the CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on Regus Group Limited in relation to the completed acquisition by Regus Group Limited of Avanta Serviced Office Group plc.
- Initial enforcement order (15.5.15)
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 15 May 2015
Updated: 9 February 2016
Opened: 15 May 2015
Closed: 29 January 2016
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Full text of the decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation launched and notices published.
- CMA to consider undertakings announcement added.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Launch of CMA merger inquiry.
- Derogation published.
- Derogation published.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Distribution and service industries