Reed Elsevier / Jordan Publishing merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 15 July 2015
- Last updated:
- 29 January 2016, see all updates
- 15 July 2015
- 14 January 2016
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Paper printing and packaging
- Mergers - phase 1 clearance with undertakings in lieu
The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition of the assets comprising the Jordan Publishing business by Reed Elsevier (UK) Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|14 January 2016||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|6 November 2015||Extension of consideration of undertakings in lieu (UILs)|
|21 September 2015||Decision published|
|10 September 2015||Decision announced|
|15 to 28 July 2015||Invitation to comment|
|15 July 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
14 January 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the anticipated acquisition by RELX (UK) Limited (formerly known as Reed Elsevier (UK) Limited) of Jordan Publishing Limited. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (29.1.16)
- Reed Elsevier final undertakings (14.1.16)
- Press release: CMA accepts RELX (UK) Limited undertakings (14.1.16)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
12 November 2015: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the anticipated acquisition by Reed Elsevier of Jordan Publishing.
- Notice of consultation (12.11.15)
- Reed Elsevier proposed undertakings (12.11.15)
- News story: CMA opens consultation on Reed Elsevier undertakings (12.11.15)
Extension of consideration of undertakings in lieu
6 November 2015: The CMA has extended the consideration of UILs until 19 January 2016.
- Notice of extension (6.11.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
24 September 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by Reed Elsevier, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (30.9.15)
- News story: CMA considers remedies in family law information merger (24.9.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
10 September 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger, if carried into effect, may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless Reed Elsevier offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (21.9.15)
- Press release: CMA raises competition concerns over family law information merger (10.9.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
15 July 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
15 July 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (15.7.15)
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 15 July 2015
Updated: 29 January 2016
Opened: 15 July 2015
Closed: 14 January 2016
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Paper printing and packaging