MRH (GB) / Esso Petroleum Company merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 4 February 2016
- 10 September 2015
- 19 January 2016
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Oil and gas refining and petrochemicals
- Mergers - phase 1 clearance with undertakings in lieu
The CMA investigated the acquisition by MRH (GB) Limited of 78 petrol stations from Esso Petroleum Company Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|19 January 2015||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|23 December 2015||Decision published|
|26 November 2015||Decision announced|
|9 to 23 October 2015||Invitation to comment|
|9 October 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|10 September 2015||Initial enforcement order|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
19 January 2016: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the acquisition by MRH (GB) Limited of 78 petrol stations from Esso Petroleum Company Limited. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (4.2.16)
- MRH (GB) final undertakings (19.1.16)
- News story: CMA accepts MRH (GB) Limited undertakings (19.1.16)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: now closed
23 December 2015: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the acquisition by MRH (GB) Limited of 78 petrol stations from Esso Petroleum Company Limited.
- Notice of consultation (23.12.15)
- MRH proposed undertakings (23.12.15)
- News story: CMA invites comments on petrol station merger undertakings (23.12.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
10 December 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by MRH, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (14.12.15)
- News story: CMA to look in detail at MRH undertakings offer (10.12.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
26 November 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger, if carried into effect, may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless MRH offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (23.12.15)
- Press release: Petrol station merger has chance to avoid in-depth investigation (26.11.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
9 October 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
9 October 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (9.10.15)
Initial enforcement order
10 September 2015: The CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on MRH (GB) Limited, Malthurst South East Limited and Malthurst Anglia Limited in relation to the acquisition of 78 petrol stations from Esso Petroleum Company Limited.
- Initial enforcement order (15.9.15)
- Derogation 10 December 2015 (14.12.15)
- Variation order 30 November 2015 (1.12.15)
- Derogation 26 November 2015 (1.12.15)
- Derogation 24 November 2015 (24.11.15)
- Derogation 23 October 2015 (26.10.15)
- Derogation 8 October 2015 (12.10.15)
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Reena Ravinder Matharoo
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 4 February 2016
Opened: 10 September 2015
Closed: 19 January 2016
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Oil and gas refining and petrochemicals