Leased lines price control appeals: CityFibre and TalkTalk
The CAT referred 2 telecoms appeals to the CMA concerning the amount BT can charge other providers for purchasing leased line services.
Date of referral: 17.11.16
Final determination deadline: 7.4.17
Full administrative timetable (updated on 24.3.17)
10 April 2017: The CMA has published its final determination in 2 leased line price control appeals.
- Final determination report (10.4.17)
- Appendices and glossary (10.4.17)
- News story: CMA determination published in leased lines appeals (10.4.17)
Appeal group appointed
Disclosure of interest
Graham Sharp anticipates inheriting BT shares (with a value of less than £5,000) which may or may not occur during the proceedings. The CMA is satisfied that this matter will not prejudice the ability of the appeal group to discharge its functions in an independent and impartial manner.
17 November 2016: The Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) has referred to the CMA 2 telecoms appeals concerning the amount BT can charge other providers for purchasing leased line services.
CityFibre Infrastructure Holdings plc (CityFibre) and TalkTalk Telecom Group Plc (TalkTalk) both appealed to the CAT following the Office of Communications (Ofcom’s) final decision in its Business Connectivity Market Review in April this year.
Under the 2003 Communications Act, if decisions by Ofcom are appealed to the CAT and include a price control matter, then this matter must be referred to the CMA for determination. Both parties have therefore sought a reference to the CMA of the price control matters in their respective appeals.
- News story: CAT refers leased line price control appeals to CMA (18.11.16)
- Ofcom decision
- CAT case page: CityFibre v Office of Communications (BCMR)
- CAT case page: Talktalk Telecom Group PLC v Office of Communications (BCMR)
Published: 18 November 2016
Updated: 10 April 2017
Opened: 17 November 2016
- Final determination published.
- Timetable updated.
- Disclosure of interest added.
- Timetable published.
- First published.