The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by Just Eat.co.uk Limited of Hungryhouse Holdings Limited.
Date of referral: 19.5.17
Statutory deadline: 30.11.17
- Full administrative timetable (updated 12.10.17)
1 December 2017: The CMA has published a notice (dated 24 November) of a penalty imposed on Hungryhouse under section 110 of the Enterprise Act 2002. The CMA imposed the penalty for a failure to comply, without reasonable excuse, with a requirement imposed on Hungryhouse under section 109 of the Enterprise Act 2002.
- Penalty notice (served 24.11.17)
- Final report (PDF, 1.1 MB) (16.11.17)
- Appendices and glossary (PDF, 3.8 MB) (16.11.17)
- Summary of final report (16.11.17)
- Press release: CMA clears Just Eat / Hungryhouse merger (16.11.17)
12 October 2017: The CMA has provisionally cleared Just Eat’s acquisition of Hungryhouse.
- Full provisional findings report (12.10.17)
- Appendices and glossary (12.10.17)
- Summary of provisional findings (12.10.17)
- Notice of provisional findings (12.10.17)
- Notice of extension (12.10.17)
- Consumer survey report (12.10.17)
- Press release: CMA provisionally clears Just Eat / Hungryhouse merger (12.10.17)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to provisional findings
Responses to issues statement
Responses to the phase 1 decision
9 June 2017: The issues statement sets out the scope of the inquiry. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (9.6.17)
Inquiry group appointed
22 May 2017: The CMA appointed the inquiry group on 19 May 2017.
Terms of reference
19 May 2017: The CMA has referred Just Eat’s acquisition of Hungryhouse for an in-depth investigation.
- Terms of reference (19.5.17)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|9 June 2017||Decision published|
|10 May 2017||Decision announced|
|10 to 24 March 2017||Invitation to comment|
|10 March 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
- Reference decision (19.5.17)
- News story: Just Eat/Hungryhouse merger referred for in-depth investigation (19.5.17)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
10 May 2017: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (9.6.17)
- News story: Just Eat/Hungryhouse merger faces in-depth investigation (10.5.17)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
10 March 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction, if carried into effect, will result in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
10 March 2017: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (10.3.17)
Published: 10 March 2017
Updated: 1 December 2017
Opened: 10 March 2017
- Penalty notice published.
- Full final report published.
- Summary of final report published.
- Responses to provisional findings published (under ‘Evidence’).
- Full provisional findings report and consumer survey report published.
- Summary of provisional findings and notice of extension published.
- Timetable updated.
- Summary of oral evidence published.
- Responses to issues statement and merger notice published.
- Responses to the phase 1 decision published.
- Full text decision, timetable and issues statement published.
- Inquiry group appointments added.
- Reference decision announced and terms of reference published.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- First published.