GTCR UK / Gorkana merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 23 December 2014
- Last updated:
- 7 July 2015, see all updates
- 18 December 2014
- 7 July 2015
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Distribution and service industries
- Mergers - phase 1 clearance with undertakings in lieu
The CMA investigated the completed acquisition by GTCR Canyon UK Investments Limited of Discovery Group Holdings Limited (Gorkana).
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|16 June 2015||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|27 March 2015||Decision announced|
|2 February to 13 February 2015||Invitation to comment|
|2 February 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|18 December 2014||Initial enforcement order made|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
16 June 2015: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference under the Enterprise Act 2002 for the completed acquisition by GTCR Canyon UK Investments Limited of Discovery Group Holdings Limited (Gorkana). As a result, the merger will not be referred for a phase 2 investigation. A copy of the undertakings and the decision are available below.
- UIL acceptance decision (7.7.15)
- GTCR final undertakings (16.6.15)
- News story: CMA accepts sale of media solutions businesses (16.6.15)
Extension of considerations of undertakings in lieu
28 May 2015: The CMA has extended the consideration of UILs until 6 August 2015.
- Notice of extension (28.5.15)
Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
28 May 2015: We are consulting on a proposed undertaking in lieu of a reference for the completed acquisition by GTCR Canyon UK Investments Ltd of Gorkana Group Limited.
- Notice of consultation (28.5.15)
- GTCR proposed undertaking (28.5.15)
- News story: CMA consults on GTCR proposed undertaking (28.5.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
14 April 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by GTCR, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (28.5.15)
- News story: CMA to look in detail at proposed undertakings for media databases merger (14.4.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
27 March 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger has resulted or may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless GTCR Canyon UK Investments Limited offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (28.5.15)
- Press release: Media contact databases merger could lessen competition (27.3.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
2 February 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of CMA merger inquiry
2 February 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
Initial enforcement order
18 December 2014: An initial enforcement order under Section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 was put in place against Canyon Holdings Sàrl and GTCR Canyon UK Investments Limited by the CMA. A copy of the order is below:
- Initial enforcement order (23.12.14)
Published: 23 December 2014
Updated: 7 July 2015
Opened: 18 December 2014
Closed: 7 July 2015
- Undertakings in lieu acceptance decision published.
- Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted.
- Derogation published.
- Proposed undertaking and full text of the decision published.
- Undertakings offered.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Invitation to comment issued and commencement of initial period notice added.
- Derogation added.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Distribution and service industries