|Phase 1 date||Action|
|22 June 2015||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|29 May 2015||Decision published|
|11 May 2015||Decision announced|
|11 March 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|11 March to 25 March 2015||Invitation to comment|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
22 June 2015: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference under the Enterprise Act 2002 for the anticipated acquisition by Greene King plc of Spirit Pub Company plc. A copy of the undertakings and the decision can be found below.
- UIL acceptance decision (26.6.15)
- Greene King final undertakings (22.6.15)
- News story: CMA accepts undertakings in Greene King/Spirit merger (22.6.15)
Undertakings in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
4 June 2015: We are consulting on proposed undertakings in lieu of a reference for the anticipated acquisition by Greene King plc of Spirit Pub Company plc.
- Notice of consultation (4.6.15)
- Greene King proposed undertakings (4.5.16)
- Press release: CMA invites comments on Greene King pub sales (4.6.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
26 May 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by Greene King plc, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (29.5.15)
- CMA news story: CMA to look in detail at Greene King proposed undertakings (26.5.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
11 May 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger has resulted or may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (29.5.15)
- Press release: Pubs merger faces phase 2 investigation unless suitable undertakings offered (11.5.15)
Launch of merger inquiry
11 March 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (11.3.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
11 March 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Competition and Markets Authority