Central Manchester University Hospitals / University Hospital of South Manchester merger inquiry
The CMA is investigating the anticipated merger between Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (CMFT) and University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust (UHSM).
Date of referral: 27.2.17
Statutory deadline: 13.8.17
Next milestone: Provisional findings in late May/early June 2017
- Full administrative timetable (2.3.17)
Use of Hospital Episode Statistics
Responses to issues statement
- Andrew Macdonald (PDF, 3.9 MB) (12.4.17)
- Manchester City Council (6.4.17)
- Care Quality Commission (6.4.17)
- Martin Rathfelder (6.4.17)
- Members of the Public (6.4.17)
- Patient Group (6.4.17)
- Unite the Union (6.4.17)
- North Central and South Manchester Clinical Commissioning Group (6.4.17)
- CMFT/UHSM Phase 1 submission (6.4.17)
- CMFT/UHSM initial submission (28.3.17)
- CMFT/UHSM submission on patient benefits (PDF, 1.7 MB) (28.3.17)
9 March 2017: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (9.3.17)
- News story: CMA invites views on Manchester hospital trusts merger (9.3.17)
Inquiry group appointed
The CMA appointed the inquiry group on 28 February 2017.
Terms of reference
27 February 2017: The CMA has referred the anticipated merger between Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust for an in-depth phase 2 investigation.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|9 March 2017||Decision published|
|27 February 2017||Decision announced|
|9 February to 16 February 2017||Invitation to comment|
|9 February 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
27 February 2017: The CMA has referred the anticipated merger between Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust for an in-depth phase 2 investigation under its fast track procedure at the request of the merging parties. A copy of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (9.3.17)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
- Invitation to comment (15.2.17)
Launch of merger inquiry
9 February 2017: The CMA has announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (9.2.17)
- Press release: Manchester hospital trusts request fast track merger reference (9.2.17)
Published: 9 February 2017
Opened: 9 February 2017
- Response to issues statement published.
- Initial submissions and responses to issues statement published.
- Initial submissions published.
- Full text of the decision and issues statement published.
- Timetable published and inquiry group appointments added.
- Reference decision announced.
- First published.