Cardtronics / DirectCash Payments merger inquiry
The CMA is investigating the completed acquisition by Cardtronics Holdings Limited of DirectCash Payments Inc.
Inquiry group appointed
18 May 2017: The CMA appointed the inquiry group on 17 May 2017.
Terms of reference
15 May 2017: The CMA has referred Cardtronics’ merger with DirectCash Payments for an in-depth investigation.
- Terms of reference (15.5.17)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|3 May 2017||Decision announced|
|3 March 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
|13 February to 27 February 2017||Invitation to comment|
|6 January 2017||Initial enforcement order|
Reference unless undertakings accepted
3 May 2017: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless the parties offer acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision will be available shortly.
- News story: ATM merger faces in-depth investigation (3.5.17)
Launch of merger inquiry
3 March 2017: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
Invitation to comment: Now closed
13 February 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Initial enforcement order
6 January 2017: The CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on Cardtronics Plc, Cardtronics Holdings Limited, and DirectCash Payments Inc. in relation to the completed acquisition by Cardtronics Holdings Limited of DirectCash Payments Inc.
- Variation order (23.1.17)
- Initial enforcement order (as varied on 23 January 2017) (23.1.17)
- Initial enforcement order (10.1.17)
Please send written representations about any competition or public interest to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 10 January 2017
Opened: 10 January 2017
- Inquiry group appointments added.
- Reference decision published.
- Reference decision announced and terms of reference published.
- Derogation published.
- Decision announced: reference unless undertakings accepted.
- Launch of merger inquiry.
- Derogation published and invitation to comment launched.
- Variation order and amended initial enforcement order published.
- First published.