The CMA investigated the completed acquisition by BCA Trading Limited, a subsidiary of BCA Marketplace plc of SMA Vehicle Remarketing Limited.
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|7 January 2016||Decision published|
|23 December 2015||Undertakings in lieu accepted|
|17 November 2015||Decision announced|
|22 September 2015 to 5 October 2015||Invitation to comment|
|22 September 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
|22 June 2015||Initial enforcement order|
Undertakings in lieu of reference accepted
23 December 2015: The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of reference for the completed acquisition by BCA Trading Limited, a subsidiary of BCA Marketplace plc of SMA Vehicle Remarketing Limited. A copy of the undertakings and the decision can be found below.
- UIL acceptance decision (7.1.16)
- BCA final undertakings (7.1.16)
- News story: CMA accepts car auction undertakings (23.12.15)
Undertaking in lieu of reference consultation: Now closed
4 December 2015: We are consulting on a proposed undertaking in lieu (UIL) of a reference for the anticipated acquisition by BCA Marketplace plc of SMA Vehicle Remarketing Ltd.
- Notice of consultation (4.12.15)
- BCA Remarketing plc proposed undertaking (4.12.15)
- News story: CMA to consult on car auction undertakings (4.12.15)
CMA to consider undertakings offered
1 December 2015: The CMA considers that there are reasonable grounds for believing that the undertakings offered by BCA, or a modified version of them, might be accepted by the CMA under the Enterprise Act 2002. A copy of the notice is available below.
- Notice to consider undertakings offered (4.12.15)
- News story: CMA looks in detail at car auction merger undertakings (1.12.15)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
17 November 2015: The CMA has decided, on the information currently available to it, that it is or may be the case that this merger, if carried into effect, may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom. This merger will be referred for a phase 2 investigation unless BCA offers acceptable undertakings to address these competition concerns. The full text of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (7.1.16)
- Press release: Car auction merger prompts competition concerns in north-east (17.11.15)
Invitation to comment: Now closed
22 September 2015: The CMA is considering whether it is or may not be the case that this transaction has resulted in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation has resulted, or may be expected to result, in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
22 September 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (22.9.15)
Initial enforcement order
22 June 2015: The CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on BCA Marketplace plc and BCA Trading Limited in relation to the completed acquisition of SMA Vehicle Remarketing Limited.
- Initial enforcement order (22.6.15)
- Derogation 11 August 2015 (3.9.15)
- Derogation 20 July 2015 (22.7.15)
- Derogation 3 July 2015 (16.7.15)
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 22 June 2015
Updated: 7 January 2016
Opened: 22 June 2015
Closed: 7 January 2016
- Final undertakings and two decisions published.
- First published.
Case type: Mergers
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Motor industry