Published on 26 March 2015, as required by Rule 7 of the Competition and Markets Authority Rules of Procedure for Merger, Market and Special Reference Groups. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this website.
|Phase 2 date||Action|
|7 October 2015||Statutory deadline|
|Late September 2015||Publish final report|
|Early September 2015||Final deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions|
|Late August 2015||Consider possible remedies and response hearing(s) (if required)|
|14 August 2015||Provisional findings published|
|Late May 2015||Deadline for all parties’ responses/submissions required before provisional findings|
|May to early June 2015||Main party hearing, verify information, consider provisional findings|
|Late March to early April 2015||Publish statement of issues|
|Early March to May 2015||Gather information, issue questionnaires, hear third parties|
|26 February 2015||Merger reference made|
- Final report (PDF, 3Mb) (16.9.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF, 4.2Mb) (16.9.15)
- Press release: CMA clears Surrey hospitals merger (16.9.15)
14 August 2015: The CMA has provisionally cleared the merger between ASP and RSC.
- Notice of provisional findings (14.8.15)
- Provisional findings report (PDF, 2.9Mb) (14.8.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF, 5.8Mb) (14.8.15)
- Press release: CMA provisionally clears foundation trust hospitals merger (14.8.15)
Notice of extension of inquiry period
4 August 2015: The inquiry group has decided to extent the reference period to 7 October 2015.
- Notice of extension (4.8.14)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to issues statement
- Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals (4.8.15)
- Frimley Health (4.8.15)
- Guildford and Waverley Clinical Commissioning Group (4.8.15)
- NHS England South (4.8.15)
- North West Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group (4.8.15)
- The Royal Marsden (4.8.15)
- St George’s University Hospitals (4.8.15)
- West Middlesex University Hospital (4.8.15)
The CMA’s merger inquiry is independent and welcomes submissions from all interested parties.
- British Medical Association (29.5.15)
- NHS Providers (29.5.15)
- The Health Foundation (29.5.15)
- The Witley and Milford Medical Partnership (29.5.15)
- Ashford & St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust / Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2.4.15)
- GfK research report (4.8.15)
16 April 2015: The deadline for comments on the issues statement has been extended to 5pm on 30 April 2015.
2 April 2015: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (2.4.15)
Inquiry group appointed
4 March 2015: The CMA has appointed the inquiry group.
Terms of reference
26 February 2015: The CMA has referred the merger between Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Terms of reference (26.2.15)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|12 March 2015||Decision published|
|26 February 2015||Reference decision announced|
|18 February 2015||Decision announced|
|22 December 2014||Launch of merger inquiry|
|22 December 2014 to 9 January 2015||Invitation to comment|
- News story: CMA confirms hospital merger referral (26.2.15)
Reference unless undertakings given
Launch of merger inquiry
19 December 2014: The CMA notified the parties that they had provided a satisfactory merger notice such that the initial period would commence on 22 December 2014.
- Commencement of initial period notice (19.12.14)