You've stopped work

You were made redundant

Call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’ve overpaid tax because of your redundancy payment. They may be able to refund you before the end of the tax year.

The tax year is from 6 April to 5 April the following year.

You left your job

You can’t get a tax refund straight away if you’re getting any of the following:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit, if you’ve been getting it for more than 28 weeks

Give the Jobcentre Plus parts 2 and 3 of your P45. If you’ve overpaid tax, you may get a refund either:

  • at the end of the tax year
  • when you start a new job

If you’re out of work for less than 4 weeks and you’re due a refund, you’ll get one through your wages from your new job. You can’t claim a refund.

Fill in form P50 if you’re not claiming the benefits above and not going to work for at least 4 weeks, for example if you’re retired, still looking for a job or returning to study.

You leave the UK to live abroad

You need to read the guidance and fill in form P85 if you’re either:

  • leaving the UK to live abroad permanently
  • going to work abroad full-time for at least one full tax year

The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the next year.