5. You get a pension

Too much tax taken from your pension

Your pension provider may pay back the tax to you automatically.

If they don’t, call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and tell them why you think you’ve overpaid.

You’ve retired and only get the State Pension

Fill in form P50.

You bought a pension annuity before April 2007

You can’t reclaim any tax you overpaid before April 2007.

You bought a pension annuity after April 2007

Tax on a pension annuity bought after April 2007 is paid through PAYE - the same as a company or personal pension.

Call HMRC if you think you’ve overpaid tax from April 2007 onwards.

You’ve taken your pension as a lump sum

You may have paid too much tax if you’ve taken your pension(s) as a lump sum instead of a monthly payment (called ‘trivial commutation’).

If you fill in a Self Assessment tax return each year, you’ll get a refund when you’ve sent your return.

If you don’t fill in a tax return, fill in form P53 to claim a refund.

Call HMRC to request a copy of the form.