Usually, what you’re entitled to is based on your income for the last tax year (6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017).
- pay - your earnings before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips if you’re employed, or your Self Assessment tax return if you’re self-employed)
- benefits from your employer (check your P11D)
- certain state benefits
- money from a pension - including your State Pension
- interest on savings
- your partner’s income - if you make a joint claim
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has detailed guidance if you need help working out your income.
- Child Benefit
- Housing Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- the foreign equivalents of UK tax-free benefits
To support your claim, keep records of your income, bills, payslips, benefits, tax credits, childcare and child’s education for the current tax year and at least 2 years before that.